SAP Business One 9.1 In Detail
Around a year ago, we published a blog taking a look at the new functionality in SAP Business One version 9.1 in video form, which you can see here.
Since then we have had a few requests for a more detailed breakdown of the version 9.1 solution so here goes…be warned, it is lengthy!
SAP Business One 9.1
Enhancements in E-Mail Sending
The e-mail sending functionality has been enhanced and enables you to do the following:
- Define and assign e-mail groups to business partners, which will be used as distribution lists when sending an e-mail to a given business partner.
- Automatically create and send PDFs by mail when adding a document.
- Define a company default – whether to use SBO Mailer or MS Outlook.
- Customise e-mail subject line and e-mail body.
The workflow functionality has been enhanced, you can perform the following:
- Add permission groups as the participants of workflow tasks.
- Specify a start parameter in the start events or conditional start events, to target a specific business object to perform in the corresponding task.
You can now define authorisations per permission group, which in turn applies authorisations to all users within the group. A user can be assigned to more than one permission group, depending on the user’s actual role in real life. The effective authorisation for a particular permission item is the highest among the various authorisations granted to the user. Authorisations can also be copied between permission groups, as between users. In addition, you can export group authorisations to Microsoft Excel and print group authorisations using predefined Crystal layouts.
Enhancements in Advanced G/L Accounts Determination
The following enhancements are implemented in the Advanced G/L Account Determination solution:
- It is now possible to export a preview of Advanced G/L Account Determination Rules into MS Excel, to enable a more thorough review of the suggested rules.
- A new button, Determination Criteria, has been added to the Advanced G/L Account Determination Rules window. This provides access to the Determination Criteria window, where users can adjust the determination criteria, if needed.
The multi-branch feature has been extended from the Brazil localisation to all localisations that are supported by SAP Business One.With this feature, you can work across branches on one company database, but only with authorised data. Major functions of this feature include:
- Documents are created for specific branches and only with master data, for example, warehouses and business partners, that are assigned to the branches.
- Different branches share some common data and settings, for example, items and document settings.
- You can create purchasing documents based on sales documents.
The fixed assets function has been enhanced, and you can now perform the following:
- Cancel Depreciation Runs: In the Depreciation Run window, you can cancel a depreciation run by right-clicking the mouse and choosing Cancel. As a result, the posted depreciation of this depreciation run is reverted correspondingly. In addition, the journal entries which were generated based on this depreciation run are then reversed automatically.
- Carry Cost Accounting Information from Marketing Documents: In the Retirement and Manual Depreciation windows, you can choose to carry the project and distribution rule related information retrieved from the marketing document. This information is further carried to the journal entries that are generated based on the retirement or manual depreciation.
- An option to create journal entries for asset transfers at any time has been added: On the Per Document tab in the Document Settings window, you can select the Always Create Journal Entry for Asset Transfer checkbox for Fixed Asset Transfer documents. The application creates a journal entry to record each asset transfer that is carried out at any time as required, even if the same account is used for both the source asset and target asset.
Display Goods Receipt POs and Purchase Orders balance on Vendor’s Business Partner
Two new fields of type Vendor have been added to Business Partner Master Data, displaying the value of open goods receipt POs and open purchase orders. Clicking the arrow link displays the Goods Receipt PO Balance report and the Purchase Order Balance report, respectively.
Enhancements in Campaign Management
When creating a new campaign based on an existing campaign, all business partners included in the existing campaign will be copied to the new campaign, regardless of the target group used in the base campaign. In addition, if the target group used in the base campaign has been updated since the base campaign was created, these updates will be reflected in the new campaign.
Sales and Purchasing
The blanket agreement function has been enhanced as follows:
- You can choose a payment method in the blanket agreement. This payment method shall be applied when paying an invoice linked to the blanket agreement.
- You can run the Blanket Agreement Fulfillment Report by business partner groups and properties.
- You can set authorisations for viewing the related blanket agreements from the Business Partner Master Data.
- All blanket agreement authorisations have been located under Sales – AR and Purchasing – AP.
Payment Means Icon
The Payment Means icon has been added to the Incoming Payment and Outgoing Payment windows, enabling direct access to the Payment Means window.
Negative Payment Enablement in Payment Wizard
You can now pay documents with a negative total in the payment wizard. To achieve this, you need to create a negative payment method, link it to your current positive payment method, and assign both of them to your business partner.
The Multiple Unit of Measurement function has been extended to support the weight factor. It allows the rule of a single UoM group definition to be applied to many items simultaneously, enabling items to be converted between weight and length UoM or volume UoM.
You can now copy the Reduce By information about the UoM prices between items. The information is copied from a UoM item in one price list to any other UoM items in any other price lists that you require.
You can now manage bin location allocations on a maximum weight basis. The system calculates the weight of the items to be allocated to the bin location, and adds it to the weight of the bin location’s current contents. If the total weight exceeds the bin location’s maximum weight, the system warns you and requires you to choose whether or not to continue allocating items to this bin location.
Pick and Pack Enhancements
The pick and pack function has been enhanced, and you can now perform the following:
- Create pick lists for production orders and inventory transfer requests
- Generate or view pick lists through the content menu in A/R reserve invoices, inventory transfer requests, and production orders
In the Pick List Generation Wizard, you can split pick lists by selecting the following:
- Business Partner
- Document Type
- Item Group
The Resources module serves as an extension to the Production module; together they provide a base platform for managing light manufacturing processes in SAP Business One. As opposed to items, resources have capacity available throughout a period of time which can be assigned to production orders. Consumption of resources in a production process contributes to overall production costs and can be split into underlying cost elements for further accounting purposes.
The following enhancements have been implemented in the Production module:
- Bill of Materials and Production Order:
- In addition to item lines, you can now include in all BoM types lines of type Resource, which enable you to record capacity, and lines of type Text. The new line types are also supported in production orders.
- A new column for WIP Account has been added, enabling you to assign a default WIP account to each item or resource component. The account defined here is then used by default in released production orders and issues for production.
- A new column, Additional Quantity, enables you to record any consumption of resources and items beyond the consumption that is directly derived from the BoM.
- You can now change the sequence of lines in the Bill of Materials window, using Up and Down arrows. The sequence you set is reflected in production orders as well.
- You can now add user defined fields to Bill of Materials that are then reflected in production orders.
- Component Management for BoM – This new functionality enables you to update bills of materials in batches. You can choose whether to add, delete, or change lines in user defined ranges of bills of materials.
- A Production Data tab has been added to the Item Master Data window to support production related information.
- A By-Product Handling – Manual issue method is now supported for by-product components in production orders and reflected in receipt from production. This new capability enables you to manually update the cost of the by-product if required.
The MRP wizard has been enhanced as follows:
- You can include additional data sources and filter them as required.
- You can select multiple MRP forecasts for MRP recommendations; in addition, MRP forecasts support zero-quantity items.
- In order recommendations, you can change the order type.
Enhancements in Import Data from Microsoft Excel
The import of business partners and item master data from Microsoft Excel functionality has been extended to support importing more fields, such as UDFs and properties. In addition, it is possible to only update existing records through the import.
The Solution Packager has been enhanced to support the cross localisations option. With this option you can package various data such as: UDOs, UDTs, UDFs, and reports. You can package the data in a database of a specific localisation and deploy the package in another database, of a different localisation.
A new functionality enables you to customise the user interface of the windows which are most commonly used. Using customisable templates, you can hide fields and tabs of a given window, change the location of fields by dragging and dropping, and change the window’s layout to best fit business needs. This way, the users get to work with user interfaces tailor made for their role and needs.
With this new capability, you can customise the following windows:
- Business Partner Master Data
- Item Master Data
- Sales and Purchasing Documents
- Journal Entries, Journal Vouchers, and Chart of Accounts
- Goods Receipt, Goods Issue, Inventory Transfer, and Inventory Transfer Request
- Incoming and Outgoing Payments
- You can set a default template for each user, or assign multiple templates to a user.
A new functionality enables businesses to further customise SAP Business One and tailor it to the business’ needs by hiding completely certain functionalities, in case these are not used at all by the business. Using this new option lets businesses enjoy the benefit of a thinner application that provides and displays only the functionality and features that the business really needs and uses. You can now hide and disable the following functionalities:
- Payment Wizard
- Dunning Wizard
- Cost Accounting
- Serial Numbers and Batches
- Unit of Measures
Hiding one or more of the functionalities above can be done either from the Hide Functions tab added to the General Settings window under: Administration System Initialisation; or through the Express Configuration Wizard.
Copy and Paste Document Rows from Microsoft Excel
The Copy and Paste form Microsoft Excel functionality allows to copy transaction rows such as journal entries and document rows of sales and purchasing documents. You can copy the required data from Microsoft Excel and paste it into the respective journal entry or document in SAP Business One.
So, we have reached the end of what is new in SAP Business One version 9.1. If you would like to know more about this blog or have any wider SAP Business One questions, then get in contact with a member of the SAP B1 Team today.