Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
Bring Your Own Device or BYOD as it is commonly referred to has continued to increase within the work place over the past few years and the questions that are now being asked have changed from ‘should I let my employees use their own devices for business purposes’ to ‘how do I help manage the use of my employees devices within the business environment.’
This blog takes a look at some recent research figures and also touches upon how you can help manage a BYOD policy within your business.
What is BYOD?
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) is when an organisation allows employees to use their personally owned mobile devices within the workplace to access business information and perform their day to day duties.
There are a number of benefits for a company and employees in embracing BYOD such as:
- Reduced equipment costs
- Reduced contract costs
- Position your business as a forward thinking company
- More productive employees as they are used to the devices
- Work flexibility – anywhere, anytime
However, there are inevitably some potential drawbacks such as:
- Sensitive business information being accessed by 3rd parties if devices are lost or sold
- Lost or damaged devices and who pays for incurred costs
- Visibility of what devices are being used, by which employees and for what purposes
- IT department loses control
- Lack of security
Tech Pro Research
Tech Pro Research have been keeping abreast of the BYOD trend over the past few years and their most recent research shows that 59% of companies surveyed currently allow the use of personal devices for work purposes, with a further 13% of companies who do not currently allow BYOD expecting this to change within the next 12 months.
Typically manufacturing and educational sectors tend to have a more favourable take on BYOD along with smaller businesses (with 50 employees or less).
How To Manage BYOD
Mobile Device Management from Frontline can help your business promote and benefit from a BYOD environment allowing your employees to work securely and efficiently.
It is vital that the security of your company data is not compromised when implementing a BYOD policy and Frontline can help by offering a centralised and simple approach to your data with our mobile device management services.
- Fully managed mobility service
- Push apps centrally to devices
- Remote security tools to control devices
- Enforce central policies, password rules and encryption
If you have any questions about the topics covered in this blog then get in contact with a member of the Frontline Team.